SOLO Wilderness First Aid/
Wilderness First Responder Recertification
Wilderness First Aid and Wilderness First Responder Recertification
The WFA is the perfect course for the outdoor enthusiast or trip leader who wants a basic level of first aid training for short trips with family, friends, and outdoor groups. It also meets the ACA guidelines. The WFA is 16 hours long (two days), and focuses on the basic skills of: Response and Assessment, Musculoskeletal Injuries, Environmental Emergencies, Survival Skills, Soft Tissue Injuries, and Medical Emergencies. SOLO Wilderness First Aid course covers the following:
- Anatomy of a Wilderness Crisis
- Anatomy of the Musculoskeletal System
- Backcountry Essentials
- Cold-Related Injuries
- Environmental Emergencies & Survival Skills (including lightning)
- Heat-Related Injuries
- Medical Emergencies & Critical Care
- Patient Assessment System
- Patient Lifting & Moving
- Principles of Fracture Care
- Rescue Plan
- Response & Assessment
- Soft Tissue Injuries & Medical Emergencies
- Spinal Cord Injury Management
- Sprains & Strains
- The Human Animal
- Trauma-Musculoskeletal Injuries
- Trauma-Soft Tissue Injuries
- Universal Precautions
- Use of Epinephrine
- What is Wilderness First Aid?
All students must have a current CPR card.
If anyone currently has a WFRs certification they may take this course to recertify for another three years. WFR cards must be current.
Nov. 30, 2018 – 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m., Dec. 1-2 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Jan. 31, 2019 – 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m., Feb. 1-2 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
April 12 – 14, 2019
Unity College – $130
Non-Unity College – $150
WFR Recertification’s – $180
Koons Hall 203
Unity College does not have housing accommodations during the academic school year.
Please go to this link for local options: Accommodations and Attractions.